Saturday, March 30, 2013

Facebook DJ Deb’s Artist Exclusive 1-on-1 interview with Tomorrow’s NEXT BEST Christian UK sensation, Mali Korsten…



About Mali Korsten:
http://ianfleming.co.za
Atlases & Astronauts Album Cover


 Wow.  You have an amazingly smooth voice and brilliant lyrics. As well as great guitar-playing skills. Let’s give the fans in America a little listen.
Mali Korsten has a CD sampler for Atlases & Astronauts at NoiseTrade right here.
Now that they have listened, they too should be interested in your beautiful sounds. So tell us about yourself, Mali…



Q- Do you go by Mali? Or Mali Korsten?
A - Well, I perform and release material under my full name (Mali Korsten), but most people just call me Mali!
Q- How long did it take you to learn to play/write and sing?
www.infinitumphotography.com
A – I've been writing songs pretty much since I was able to string a coherent sentence together! My dad is a musician, so I grew up around music – singing was just a natural thing for me to do. I began learning piano at the age of 7, and picked up guitar at 13. Although I must point out that it's my husband, Cuan Korsten, who does the complicated guitar work on my album!
Q – And When did you first decide to pursue Christian music?
A – I don't generally use the term “Christian Music” to describe what I do. In order for something to be Christian, it must've have accepted Christ as its Lord and saviour, and it's not possible for something abstract like “music” to do this (I've actually written a more detailed post on this very issue here). That said, I began writing songs that reflect spiritual truths (and that document my own spiritual walk) after I gave my life to Christ in  January 2009. After that, the typical topics that my previous songs had dealt with seemed fairly shallow in comparison.
Q- From your website, it appears you have been working at this since at least 2007. When did “Atlases & Astronauts” release?
A – December 2010.

Q - Your Facebook is abuzz with notes about House Concerts. Are you and Cuan (your husband and band-mate) serious about being open to any living room concerts? Or, would they have to be on the continent that you live?
A – We really love House Concerts, and favour them over all other kinds of show. They allow us to form real connections, and remove the typical barriers that usually sit between a performer and his/her audience. We really want our music to be something that our listeners can be directly involved in, on a real and personal level. Unfortunately, at the moment, we are financially restricted to only doing House Concerts in South Africa and the UK, but in the future we hope to expand and play in homes throughout  the world.

http://ianfleming.co.za
Q- Do you and Cuan (your husband) tour outside of the UK and South Africa?
A – Not at present, but it is definitely something we are working towards. The more people that support our music by purchasing albums, the more able we will be to travel further afield and play music for our overseas supporters
Q- It is my understanding, you hail from England. Do you permanently live in South Africa now?
A – Yes! We live in a beautiful coastal town called “Knysna”.
Q- Why South Africa?
A – My husband is South African, so when we got married we had a choice between the UK and South Africa - South Africa won the vote! We love living a more simple and sustainable lifestyle, and this is much easier to achieve in South Africa.


And Now...For the Facebook DJ Five... The Five Questions I ask everyone I interview...
www.infinitumphotography.com
Q – In 5 words or less, who/what is your target audience?
A – People who love honest music.
Q- What is the mission of your music?
A- To give people hope, something they can relate to, and to draw their focus onto things that are eternal rather than the temporal.
Q- What result would you want to see happen by the listeners of your songs? (5 yrs, 10 yrs, tomorrow?)
A- I'm honoured every time someone pays to hear my music – whether it's buying an album or paying to watch a live show. All I really hope of my listeners is that they will continue to invest in my music and see it as something worth listening to, since this affords me the ability to continue making music.
Q- What’s your life Bible scripture right now?
A- It's all relevant to some degree, but the passage that I often come back to is Matthew 11:28-30, when Jesus says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” It helps me when I'm feeling overwhelmed!     
Q- Who is Jesus to you?
A – My Lord, saviour and friend.


Q - So your fans can find you on Facebook, Twitter (@MaliKorsten), MySpace, YouTube and your website. Do you have any other social media sites or connections?

A – Cuan and I are now performing under the name “Mali & Me”, so you can also keep up with us at the following places: Mali & Me Facebook page; Mali & Me on Twitter; Mali & Me official website; Mali & Me on Youtube. This is in addition to all the links Deb provided, which are still active. On my personal website, I frequently post the latest news, as well as tips for fellow songwriters and independent artists.
Q- Can Fans feel free to email you at bookings@malikorsten.com
 for more inquiries about God, your music or yourself?

A – Absolutely! I'd love to hear from you.
On your website fans can see your mini documentary about Atlases & Astronauts from A & M Photography.  Those who want to watch can click the link above.
Thanks to Mali Korsten for the interview. Here's what she would like to share with the fans in closing...
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/60-seconds/id417082520?i=417082526&ign-mpt=uo%3D4 

A – Thanks for taking the time to listen to and support my music! You make it possible for me to keep doing what I do, and I hope that in return you are blessed by my music in some way. As I said earlier, for me music is all about making connections with people, so I hope that you'll all feel free to keep in touch with me via any of the means mentioned above!



Album Art and "Mali & Me" photo courtesy of Warren Fleming (http://ianfleming.co.za)
Other photos courtesy of www.infinitumphotography.com


...Soo... Follow the links above and here to find her on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and at www.malikorsten.com
OR Check Out their NEWER hubby and wife duo locations for "Mali & Me" on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and www.maliandme.com and you can sample her music at noisetrade, or better yet, buy Atlases & Astronauts on iTunes!!!


And this has been your Artist Exclusive 1-on-1 with Facebook DJ Deb and Mali! 

 Tune in next time on this same Blog Page for something else! Very awesome I’m sure! 


Chatta’ Latta!

Facebook DJ Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment